Re: ik multimedia stealthboard (midi controller)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?stealthboard/index.php
>
> any good?

Would guess so, by these first look. The box's weight is still murky area.

> are those 4 rear inputs suitable for adding expression pedals?

The video doesn't cover them and it is still a bit unclear. But there
should be a fair chance since they are marked "External Control
(Pedals/Switches)". If four continuous voltage pedals are instantly
digitized into MIDI CC#'s the Stealthboard looks very powerful! :-)

KeithMcMillan's SoftStep only has one expansion port for expression
pedal. But I think I'm more inclined towards SoftStep anyway, since
each one of the ten stepping pads can be used to send CC# data for
expression in four different ways (except the simple step-on-it
function). And that pedal seems so small and light that you may
actually bring two to have a backup instantly available on stage.

If you add a Stealth Pedal to the Stealthboard you get the same
capabilities as with the Apogee Gio. Plus the expression pedal. I like
IK's solution better than Apogee's because if you don't what to use it
as an audio interface but only as a MIDI control pedal you would have
to pay for the audio input as well if going with the Gio.

However, neither Stealthboard+Steath Pedal nor Gio will let you plug
in two parallell audio inputs. This is the reason I will stay with a
dedicated box interface from RME and use MIDI only control pedals
(need dual inputs for Chapman Stick as well as for processing other
band members).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se