Re: OT best powered nearfield monitors sub $500 and sub $1,000

Rick Walker schrieb:
> I'm curious if there are any killer choices for powered near field
> monitors in the
> sub $500 range  (that is, a piece)  for serious album mixing in a home
> studio.
>
> How about in the sub $1000 range?
Speakers are always a somewhat subjective choice. My personal killer
choice would be the Dynaudio BM5A (which musiciansfriend lists at $499).

Their biggest disadvantage may be that for very long listening sessions
at elevated volume levels (say, the AES-specified 83db SPL), several
people claim that listening fatigue is a bigger problem than with the
direct competitors, the Genelecs (don't know the exact model #).

Interestingly, to me (and I've confirmed that in discussion with several
other people), the BM5A sounds better than the more expensive BM6A.

Note that they rollof below 50Hz (as all nearfields do), so for proper
mixing/mastering with material with lots of very low frequency content,
a subwoofer is advisable (Dynaudio makes one that is matched to that pair).

Are you contemplating that for your personal use, or for another client?

Yours,

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de