Re: recording in 32 bit - interface and plugins

Hi Rune,
don't know exactly what you mean by "Choosing 32 bit in...",
but here's some info that might keep you going.

I never heard of any audio software that calculates at 24 bit, but
often audio is stored at 16bit between calculations.

So you'll have to excuse me for considering your 2 alternatives as
16bit and 32bit...if you  have a 24bit option then the theory
is the same, but there's much less sonic difference.

Also, you can put my info together with Pers for a big picture ;-)

I can tell you that plugins will calculate using 32bit floating
point, unless they either provide a 64bit option, or if they for
some reason run internally at 16bit fixed point to save your processor
power.

OK, so you record your files at 24bit, rather than 16bit...can you hear
the difference?
Possibly you might if the recording was at low level...or you have
a top notch monitoring system and know what to listen for.

Actually, when you record into Ableton, I expect it straight away
represents your 24bit input as 32bit. (unless it's set to record in 16bit).

Now, you process your 32bit audio in 32bit, keeping it in 32bit.
After each process the audio is kept at 32bit.

The likely alternative that Ableton is offering (and remember I
don't know Ableton that well) is to make your recording in 16bit,
and store it as 16bit between processes.
Then, the more processing you do, the more quality you'll
lose.

So...stay at 32bit as long as you can.

The only other relevant point is that 32bit audio files
have options(on save) to use a 24bit representation.
(saves filesize). If you want to spend a lot of time tweaking the
sound of your file, to the extent that you save it to do more
work later, there's an advantage to making sure you saved as actual
32bit.
...however, I'm not going to claim I could hear the difference.

So, probably your *answer* is..

Stay at 32bit, because audio software doesn't give a 24bit option.

andy butler