Re: OT was David Torn,Terry Bozzio,Tony Levin,Pat Mastelotto NAMM 2010

Wait...who wrote what here?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:17 PM
Subject: OT was David Torn,Terry Bozzio,Tony Levin,Pat Mastelotto NAMM 2010

Rainer wrote:
You should rather not get a stick - for various reasons explained here by a looper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7t0UGaYaw

and then wrote:
For a review from one of us, read here:
http://loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200305/msg00112.html

First of all as brilliant as Mr Fresno is, he is also a person with an obvious axe to grind, and you have to wonder about a guy who gets so bent out of shape (enough to devote considerable creative energy to write a song about the subject) because a designer won't make little modifications to Brian's exacting needs. You know the Stick works just fine for people like Tony Levin, Tom Greisgraber, and many many other accomplished stick players including Emmet Chapman himself who I  saw in the 70's when he was first unveiling the instrument.  So one might take what BKF says with a grain of salt. There is obviously some other agenda at play.  What ever law suit Chapman has going, there again is the intellectual property issue, Is there any argument that Chapman was the guy to originally conceive of, build, and play the instrument? I think not.
 Regarding quoting Rick's review, I saw the same show and I have to agree he is an astoundingly gifted musician both incredibly witty and entertaining.  But  that doesn't mean he is the  definitive authority on anything. Methinks the souring of his relationship with Chapman has more to do with Mr Fresno's personality quirks than with Chapman himself. Without going in to detail lets just say that Mr Fresno brings a lot of baggage to the party and I'm not just talking about gear. Neither of these examples in my opinion is enough reason to  change your mind Jim though you might want to check out BKF because he really is amazing. But that video was low brow and mean spirited at best,  but not at all surprising to me. I'm personally not of the opinion that having genius or virtuosity gives one the right to loose your humility or air your dirty laundry.
Bill