Re: OT: how to get ambient sound in IEM?

George Ludwig schrieb:
> So now I'm thinking about how to get ambient sound in to the system. I
> am using Shure earbuds, and they make a device to let in some ambient
> noise ("push to hear"). And I even have one, but 1. it's a piece of
> crap, and the ambient volume control failed within the first few
> minutes of use and 2. when you engage the ambient mic, it lowers the
> volume of the main source, which causes various problems.
>
> I thought about putting a mini mic in my audio interface, and that
> would give me a lot of control, except for which direction the mic is
> pointing.
It of course depends on what your setup is able to do, but as you
describe, an additional microphone to pick up the room is (for me) the
way to go.
I recommend a PZM one, and depending how you want it (i.e. if you want
to hear the stage as well or only the audience - from what you describe
I assume the former) use a half-omni or half-cardioid.
Had good experiences with a Crown PZM, though not specifically for that
application.

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de