Re: Favorite 2009 music you think may have used live looping

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM, david kirkdorffer
<unstrungone@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What's your favorite musicĀ from 2009 you think may have used live
>looping?

Recently I have come to appreciate music that does not use live
looping. That might seem a weird shout-out on this thread, but since
it has a lot to do with live looping I think it qualifies anyway. From
my own excessive live looping activities I have learned a lot about
phrasing in rhythmical as well as tonal aspects. And what has happened
for me is that I have started to really dig the human factor that is
mostly lacking in live looping, those very subtle changes in
expression that makes hand-made music never repeat itself. As a funny
matter of facts I enjoy this human factor the most when a musician is
trying hard to play like a strictly repeating looping device ;-))  I
have not heard exactly that "out there" yet (except for classic
Reilly, Reich etc pieces), but the music I have ecently bumped into
that became my favorite are mostly YouTube uploads by Steve Adelson
and Jan Laurenz. They both play The Stick. Instead of being "you vs
your looper" the Stick lets you become two jamming musicians "each
hand being its own musician". But I think stick playing can be
different than duo jamming because those two jamming hands are still
being directed by the same brain - a phenomenal hot-wire out of reach
for two duo jamming musicians. To me Stick playing seems able to pick
up where live looping reaches certain outer limits. Keth Jarret was
into this as well for a period, on the piano. And I've heard other
piano players doing it as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sprugian
http://www.youtube.com/user/Adelstick