looping and the public and categorization

you're right of course matthias. my work would not be at all the same
if i hadn't stumbled onto looping. the tools have directly influenced
my "style"!

a coda, and then i really will shut up.....

i was just thinking about all this categorization business and realize
that a huge part of my career strategy is to never categorize myself.
if if makes sense: i very actively avoid categorization!

i avoid appealing specifically to any one group, even if i am
certainly connected to it: loopers, cellists, computer nerds, DIYers,
steampunks, goths, ravers, indie rockers, public radio fans, tall
female freckled redheads with dreadlocks, etc. i prefer to be the only
fish in my pond. if another fish moves in i tend to move out and make
another pond. so i think my perceived rejection of "looping" is
related to this.  (i don't know if that's really a strategy. i've done
this my entire life and it might just be my quirky personality)

lastly....99% of the people who license my music have NO idea that i
even perform live. and as i don't employ live looping in my
recordings, for those who know me only from a recording, live looping
would just be confusing.

respect! z