Re: public response to looping

I believe you misunderstand me, I'm not talking about art vs
entertainment or playing for free. I always charge something
depending on the event, my regular fee is $400.00 and then I
negotiate from there. In fact if I'm asked to play for some sort of
benefit concert at minimum I ask that they give me a tax receipt for
my regular fee since what they're doing is asking me to donate my fee
and perform for free.

I'm referring to my motivations for playing what I play, which is not
ambient but instrumental. I mostly turn down gigs that want me to
come and do covers, but that is strictly my choice and no criticism
of others who do. If I can't do music that moves me somehow, I'd
really rather not do the gig at all. So I've been asking myself, just
what is it that moves me? Why do I have this emotional response to
instrumental music?

I remembered a gallery show I was playing at some years ago and there
was this woman who kept asking the artist what she should feel when
she looked at various paintings.... I've had people ask me the same
sort of question, what made me write a particular piece of music,
what sort of thing did I envision when I played this tune. It's as if
without the song story line there a large number of people just can't
allow themselves to go the journey the music will take them. To me
every piece of music is a story or a journey, it doesn't matter if
it's a traditional fiddle tune, an orchestral work, an instrumental
guitar or harp tune. What is the story, where does it take me.

I do agree, looping is all about the technology, and yet it is more
than that.... It's about what you do with that technology. I often
think that musicians are a lot like photographers. We're always into
the gear.... what camera, what lens, how was this photo manipulated,
colours enhanced, etc, etc. I was at photo exhibition and this woman
had done incredible landscape photography, won all sorts of
awards.... with a kodak 126 instamatic.

I like structure in my dulcimer melodies which are mostly written in
the celtic/traditional fiddle style (aa/bb/cc and repeat till you
can't stand it any longer) So initially my looping has been the
accompaniment sort, play some guitar or create some sort of counter
melody that loops while I play my tune on the dulcimer. Lately what
I've been playing with is more drone oriented and leaning more
towards the ambient sound for my background sounds and then the
dulcimer over top. It's sort of like the old photography trick of
putting the background out of focus so the central subject stands out
more clearly. In my case, the simple beauty of the solo hammered
dulcimer melody being played over whatever looped background I can
create at that moment.

I'm sorry if this has been somewhat long winded and rambeling, this
conversation has really got me thinking again about what I'm doing and why.

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca
Ontario, Canada