Re: public response to looping

Interesting conversation. I personally have been looping for about 9
years now in a variety of settings. I must admit after years of
practice, 10's of thousands of dollars of gear purchases and 4 years
of college, I have a philosophical aversion to playing for free. I
have had ALL the art vs. entertainment conversations. Both here and
late night session in college. But I've always felt, if you really
want to, you can satisfy both needs. Sometimes.

In some of the more sophisticated pubs/bars I play in, (I play mostly
covers), I can play tunes that I like and are interesting, for
Instance, Grateful Dead songs: a vastly under-rated band among
ambient enthusiasts, They played 20 minutes of totally improvised
soundscape's (space) every-night.
So I'll play a tune like Bird Song, and in the middle where they
would jam, I will uses many of the techniques ambient improvisers
use. This part could be taken out of the tune I'm playing and stand
on its own as an ambient piece. But wrapped in a familiar tune in
becomes part of the entire piece. This of course won't float many of
y'alls boat, but I can still use Mobius and twist and mangle to my
hearts content and still go home with $200 in my pocket.

As far as the response of the public, looping is just another
technological phenomenon they no longer question. It doesn't come up
ever anymore. But I think you guys are talking more about the ambient
improvised genre's more then looping itself. Right?

Thanks
Chris