Re: OT: Logic Zoom HELP!!!

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:00 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> PART ONE
> Why the F*** does it make some kinda new "clip" (maybe this a what logic
> calls a region???) EVERYTIME I hit record???

Could be because you are recording over another region ("clip") on the
same track. What happens then is that Logic assumes you are recording
alternate takes of the same musical part. Logic's reaction to that is
to create a "Takes Folder", one graphic container for all alternate
takes. After your tracking session you are supposed to open the Takes
Folder, monitor and review all alternate tracks and chose one or
compile a final version with bits and pieces from many different
takes. But all this is still happening on just one track and two audio
files can not play back over one and the same track.

If you want to avoid the Takes Folder hysteria (that's what I usually
do) you should create a bunch of tracks to record on and stay away
from recording over an earlier recording on the same track. When you
create tracks, hit 7 instead of 1 and just jump down one step fore
each new recording. You can mover them around on tracks later if you
want to gue them together (like "overdubbing" as you wrote, which is a
looping term that doesn't exist in the DAW world)

> PART TWO
> Please.. pretty please... with a cherry.. can somebody please explain
>what
> Im supposed to do about Zooooooooming in the Piano Roll?

I zoom like in a web browser, with the scroll mouse wheel while
holding down the "ctrl" key. I think there's an additional or other
modifier key to zoom the other direction (I never remember cause it
takes a second to try out every time ;-)

If you notice that you often zoom in a certain way it may be a good
idea to save your preferred zooming and window setup as a screen set.
Then you only have to hit a number key to call up that screen set.
Much faster and more convenient than zooming, if you ask me. To save a
window setup that you like as a screen set you hit "shift-L" (or mouse
the top menu for it). Lock the screen set to keep it come up exactly
the same in the future. When the screen set is locked you see a small
black dot up at the menu before the screen set's number.

When thinking about it I realize that I almost never zoom in Logic.
You are really right about zooming being extremely hard on our fragile
patience! Locked screen sets are the way to go!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com