Re: AW: Alesis Multimix 8 Line. 1u mixer for looping.

hi Luis, (and loopers everywhere suffereing the "mixer problem")

I had a really good look at the Alesis 8Line.

The chips used are the cheapest op amps available for audio.
The construction is good enough, but not better than Behringer
( held together by self tap screws).
The "tech support" on the website never replies at all.

As it's a line mixer though, the cheap chips only have to do  1:1
amplification, which means the sound quality doesn't suffer too much.

I wouldn't consider it for studio use, but for live work I think it's
going to scrape by.
As for noise levels...less than the EDPs.

I was able to successfully mod the 8Line so that the mic input, and
one other, are sent to the FX send without going to the main mix.
That's a very easy hack to do which makes the mixer loop friendly,
just clipping a few wires. (plus of course the 3 days to work out
which wires to clip because Alesis won't provide docs).
I also added switches for that, which is a bit harder, but
allows a bit of flexibility.
I reckon it wouldn't be hard to do other mods to the 8Line, luike
re=routing

I don't know the Rolls stuff at all, don't even know if
there's a European dealer.
...but I mailed their tech support to test them out on your behalf ;-)

Anyway, those 2 mixers have very different feature lists,
surely that's the first consideration?

andy butler