Re: a bit off topic: earplugs , and bass tunings

Hi Topu,

Tuning the bass in fifths C-G-D-A should be quite easy, given the
availability of strings for six string basses.    I would recommend
using a .125 for the low C, an .085 for the G,
a .065 for the D, and something in the .034 range for the A string.
This should give you relatively normal tension across the strings.
I've set up my 5 string with a high B string instead of a low B using
a .032 which worked out very nicely.  I did have it at C, but the
tension was off and it confused my hands switching back and forth with
guitar.  It's my understanding that the cello and electric bass have
the same scale (34") so you might even be able to use cello strings,
which would be interesting.  Steinberger makes an electric cello, too,
if you can afford it...

David