Re: Tech 21 MIDI Moose

2009/9/25 Jojo Hahn <jojo@jojohahn.com>
Hello all!

I saw that at least one person was using the Tech 21 MIDI Moose to control looping software. I use Logic's Mainstage and I just purchased the MIDI Moose
but I can't seem to get it to map correctly. Any help on how to map "patch change" MIDI messages to control something like Loopback? I've been trying to find a
a simple foot MIDI controller for looping software for awhile and I thought that I'd finally found a solution, but it still seems to be not working.

Thanks a lot!

I checked Tech 21's web page for the Moose and it seems it sends out five simultaneous MIDI Program Change events upon recalling a Moose program. So that's what you have to work with.

Mainstage reacts to an incoming MIDI Program Change by changing to the patch you have assigned the corrsponding number. I have never tried to send in five patch change commands simultaneously but my guess is that Mainstage will then randomly chose one of the five assigned patches.

If my assumptions on the Moose are correct (manufacturer's web site did not provide enough detailed information) your first task will be to either reprogram the Moose to send just one MIDI PC or set up Mobius to recall a patch for just one of the five received PCs. That should do for patch changing. Next task for you would be to find a way to use MIDI Program Change commands to control parameters in Mainstage hosted looping plug-ins. You could achieve this by using an application as Midi Pipe to convert certain MIDI PC's into Note data or CC's that work for what you have in mind.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com