Re: hand held feedback synth now available...

Rainer Straschill wrote:
> Very nice stuff! However, this got me thinking (and I'm writing this
> as someone with no understanding of the power electronics or whatever
> scene or circuit bending):
>
> 1. It seems to me that while a lot of people here aren't into odd
> sound synthesis, there's quite a following for odd sound processing.
> So: have you tried anything at using the power of this box to process
> another sound (e.g. a loop, or a "normal" instrument). Like using it
> into one input of an AM with adjustable modulation index.

These noise box things are very simple electronics,
it's many times harder to build stable oscillators which
don't interact with each other.
Back in the 70's, every so often the electronics mags would
publish plans for a "wierd sounds generator" pretty much
along the design of these devices.
A bunch of basic multi-vibrator circuits (or similar) without
the necessary buffering and so on to stop them interacting.
It's a fun experiment with some basic circuits, and randomly
made connections can offer interesting results.
To integrate an audio input would need some additional
circuitry which doesn't seem to be commonly used in these
devices.
One thing that's possible, that I don't know if anyone
did yet, is to have a simple single transistor amplifier/buffer
circuit, but instead of powering it directly, rig it so
that an LFO provides voltage for it. Makes a lo-fi VCA
for trem and ring mod. You wouldn't normally see that used
as a VCA because the sound would only be undistorted at
the full voltage level...which I'd assume isn't a disadvantage
for the sort of processing required.
Just needs someone to build it.

andy butler