Re: Where do you place Reverb(s)? Pre/Post-Looper?

Buzap Buzap wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I was always wondering: where do you place your reverb(s) in your
>looper/effect chain?

Here's what worked for me so far.

After the speakers :-)

Quite often the venue itself has a pretty good reverb.
(if I have recordings, I usually try to artificially re-create
 the reverb from the venue)

If I'm playing through a pa associated with the venue
the last thing I'd want is reverb to take away the clarity
of the sound.
Reverb works good with a hi-fi sound, but not through the
average pa.

I never had people comment on a dry sound, except if
they heard an untreated recording.

Delays can work like reverb, but sound better if the pa is poor/harsh.

> I have the following more specific questions:
> - Could it make sense to put a general reverb _after_ the looper?

Yes,

> - Does reverb cause trouble in post-looper fx processing?

it shouldn't

> - Does it work out to chain reverbs after another (i.e. additional
>reverb on background vocals)?

yes,
may even make a more *expensive* sounding reverb

> - How do you bring together delay and reverb in your fx chain - if at
>all?

if I add a reverb to my rig it'll be the last thing in the chain,
with a 3 possible settings( at least)
1) short decay, low volume. To thicken the sound without the obvious sound
of reverb
2) long decay fx. For specific types of playing only.

sound wise, delay before reverb is no different to reverb before delay,
(as long as the 'verb isn't gated, and the delay isn't ducking)

Adding a bit of delay to a reverbed sound works well, I used
to do that for recording when I only had a springline reverb(fixed time).

> Would like to hear your general ideas related to reverb + looping.

For what you want, you could put a reverb at the end of the chain, and
add a bit of delay pre-loop to the backing vocals.
With a bit of effort it could sound like the the backing vox
just have a longer/louder reverb than the other elements.

Hope this is of interest.
andy butler