Re: Chinapaintin' today

hey, thanks for tuning in (and saying nice stuff), Jeff!

I have to say that the 2880 does pretty well in its seemingly intended
purpose to work like a tape machine, and a four-track at that. Pretty
intuitive, except that I couldn't figure out how to clear a loop - the
big ol' button marked "New Loop" seemed to have no effect, as any
previously recorded stuff still remained even after clicking, holding it
down for a few seconds, etc. But that was easily solved just by ducking
down all faders except the first, clicking "Punch In" and hitting record.

It replicated the basic functions I depend on - reverse, octave pitch
shifting, and continuous pitch shifting via the tempo slider, down two
octaves which bests my four-track - and most importantly, remembers what
you're doing so if you record two octaves down and bring it up, the
sound is shot up two octaves, just like tape. The biggest advantage is
being able to do sound-on-sound, which I can't do currently w/my analog
machines.

Ultimately, it won't replace tape for me as I don't like the sound - it
too closely resembles what I put into it! Ha. (I also can't manually
abuse the tape stock for more extreme effects..). In particular, the
sound of the reverse isn't very satisfying, though I do like it better
than the reverse in the DL4. The old EH 16-second delay has the best
digital reverse I've heard, next to tape. Clearly it's a certain lo-fi
thing I prefer, and I do understand that's simple taste. All in all, I
was impressed by the machine and could easily use one again as a backup
for my normal setup, it's the closest I've seen in a digital looper.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com