Re: a bit off topic: earplugs , and bass tunings

    i would just trust my ears on how the bass sounds, because it will
actually depend on what techniques you plan to use--  pop/slap and tap are
greatly affected by the slackness or tautness of the strings, pizzicato et
al not so much.  when you do find a tuning that is agreeable for you
though, you should think about resetting your intonation if you are going
to stay in that tuning for an extended period.  the bassist on the scene
who is the most inventive with tunings is michael manring.  here is a link
to some of the tunings he uses, but be aware he has basses built to
accomodate a large range of tunings, sometimes within one song!!!

http://www.manthing.com/tunings.htm