Re: buskers?

Actually the first real introduction to loops that I had beyond playing with a delay pedal was at the Halifax Buskers festival, round about 1995. There was an Australian performer named Lindsay Buckland who was playing appalacian dulcimer and percussion and using a Jamman I think. I still listen to the couple of cd's that we traded, it was tremendous stuff. My recollection was that he was doing very well amongst the musicians because looping was so unique at that time and people were really blown away with the sound and textures that he could create. We had several conversations about the possibilities of looping hammered dulcimer which I eventually began to explore.

Of course in a busking festival the musicians never do well compared to the jugglers, The advantage of performing at a busking festival is that at least you don't have to educate people as to what the appropriate response should be if they enjoy your music... ie don't applaud, just through money!!!!!

I did several years busking, it's a great training ground to learn how to entertain and hold an audience. remember they have no reason to stand there and listen unless they like you.

Paul Haslem
www.dulcify.ca
Ontario, Canada