intercontinental looper transport questions

we had this topic a while ago but I forgot what the experts said - in a
little more than a week, I'll put my small electric guitar and my windows
notebook in my hand luggage, plus some additional gear in my suitcase, and
will enter a plane from Germany to the US. Some weeks later after Y2K9,
I'll
take the same stuff back to Germany. What do I have to do to avoid any
potential problems with customs? what kind of problems can be expected? in
June I had taken the same gear from Germany to Rome and back, and there
were
no problems at all, but I'm not sure if the US customs (and back into
Germany from there) will also be so easy.

-Michael