Re: david toop article - nytimes - today

there's a short text called "intuitive music" written by stockhausen himself, isn't stefan?

2009/9/10 andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>

Stefan Tiedje wrote:
Per Boysen schrieb:
In essence not far from what she tells about John Cage methods ;-)

John Cage was not an improviser, nor did he want improvisation in his
pieces. His work is about chance and the unforeseeable...

The heart of improvisation, IMHO, is to have good strategies to throw
yourself out of what you like and what you feel in order to successfully experiment with the reactions of your musical instinct when confronting the un-known.

Stockhausen wanted to make a clear distinction between improvisation,
which in his time was mostly related to Jazz improvisation, and his
concept of free music. Thats why he called it intuitive music.
I like that term, though all the free jazz scene of the seventies called this sort of intuitive music still improvisation...
Improvisation in Jazz, Indian music or what Greatful Dead did is not
free improvisation, as it follows pretty strict rules...

Stockhausen's rules weren't written down, and I guess they weren't
explicitly stated.
...but the results always follow the "house style".
(e.g. "approximate short wave radio noises")

I'd doubt it's possible for improv to really be free without
conforming to some syle or other.

andy

Stefan

--