Re: Samples and looping

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Louigi Verona<louigi.verona@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Howdy Miko!

> You are of course correct - in real life the economical issue IS
>present. However, in all discussions about copyright and licenses I
>believe that its role is over emphasized.

Hi Louigi,

I'd bet that there are very few situations where a striving artist's
work is somehow used by another for substantial gain, so you are
probably correct that copyright and licensing issues simply don't
matter. The concept of relinquishing your legal claim to your own work
IS troubling though—It's the first step towards the ultimate
devaluation of your work. Whether you choose to give it away or
charge, it should still be your choice.

> ... Really, making a living is usually not a problem. I have a friend
>who does music for a living. When he doesn't get a lot of booking (he
>plays gigs) or when he doesn't get a lot of orders (he also writes music
>for games) - he gives occasional English lessons. He is very far from
>starving - he lives fine and does what he loves without imposing
>over-restrictive licenses over the public.

Your anecdote about <someone> making enough to live is just another of
many stories—some with less agreeable outcomes. So, my main concern is
that the artist should decide just how their material is to be used
commercially.

>> "So unless it's a hobby and you provide food and shelter with another
>vocation, the system is unbalanced and will have a very short life span."

> Wanted to comment on this to a bit. You are correct if we are speaking
>about a hobby. But also keep in mind that there is such thing as talent,
>a gift that is more than a hobby - when art is part of a person's life
>and moves that person to a point that it is not possible for this person
>to not compose or not write or not paint. In such case it is much more
>than a hobby. And perhaps in this case the economical issue is also not
>too vividly present.

When I say "hobby" I only mean that it doesn't earn your living. In NO
way do I suggest that a hobbyist has any less talent, drive, passion,
or absolute need to create—I believe those who continue to create with
NO compensation and are forced to do other work for a living, may
actually be driven by a more powerful muse than those who work
commercially. They may also choose to avoid the pitfalls of committing
their security and other real concerns to the shaky endeavor of trying
to earn a living through art. It's all about choice my friend.

--
Miko Biffle
Biffoz@Gmail.com