Re: david toop article - nytimes - today

Per
>  > The thesis "Improvisation is generally playing what you know and what
>  > you like and what you feel" is a quite personal definition that I
>  > don't agree with.

accurately(if that's meant to refer to the Cage quote)
"Improvisation is generally playing what you know and what you like and
what you feel;"...Cage

to me, that looks like an observation, rather than a definition.

Actually, isn't it true that most improvisation is done within
a tradition?

some non-jazz improvisation:-
Indian Ragas
Persian Dastgah
Organ music( a strong tradition of improv upon a given theme).
Korean Sanjo ( although recently tends to be non-improv).
Javanese Gamelan( not composition, but structure)
Albanian Kaba
Turkish Clarinet music( which I think Gareth will like...probably)

and no-one mentioned King Crimson yet?too obvious i guess

andy butler

...by the way, David Toop is the absolute paragon of all that was ever bad
about music journalism.
...um...imo