Re: Samples and looping

Hey Stefan!

"In a lot of cases I made music with a lot of work and didn't gain any money at all. At that point I clearly say, before anybody else gains money I want at least a share of it. That is why I publish with a NC license..."

This sounds reasonable, but in real life turns out to be a disaster. In order to control what everybody does with your music, you would require draconian measures and you will have to literally spy on every person in the world in order to actually see it through. Also, what if 10000 people use it? Is it necessary to receive so much money for one piece of music? Clearly, this business model is flawed and seems reasonable only at the first glance.

But I think that the deeper argument would be this. You say "In a lot of cases I made music with a lot of work and didn't gain any money at all". But who said that making good music should result in gaining money? People do lots of good things and do not gain money. In fact, people who do gain money in many cases fail to deliver an inspired piece of music.

"but the artists still should be free to decide to which opinion they belong and live..."

A person can decide for himself when it concerns only him. The question of information control, however, concerns the whole society and in fact it would influence the society more than the artist, since society would have to abide by the license and the artist would only wait for the bonuses.
By trying to control the flow of information, one unwillingly would control much more than that - personal freedom. That's the nature of information. So licenses are a matter of freedom - everybody's freedom.

This is my view on the subject.

Louigi.