Re: inspiring improvsations

Personally I would listen to almost anything done by Can.
They are not anally improvisers, but they had this tchnique of recording long improvisations, and then one of them would laboriously edit them down on tape to album friendly lengths. You can hear the edits in places, and accept them as part of the track. Starter Albums are Monster Movie 1968Delay, and the very wonderful Tago Mago.

This is the band that got me into improvising...