Re: Samples and looping

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Louigi Verona<louigi.verona@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I think it is immoral to make people ask you every time they wanna use
> your work. I mean, I am sitting at home and I have a sound editor and
> I record an audio signal of a movie that is playing. Then I cut out
>samples
> out of this recording. Does it mean that some guy there actually owns my
> freedom and I am obliged to go ask permission whether I can cut out
>samples
> from a movie he once did?

Not at all. At your home, or in your studio, you are free to do
whatever you want to other people's work without a permission. The
legal regulation only applies for public use of the recordings you
make that way.

This is of course different if the owner of the original work has
explicitly made clear that parts of his/her work can be used by others
in their derivative work. If you are interested in that kind of
generic open collaboration you can read more at
http://creativecommons.org.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se