Re: anti-looper bigots / Miles & Teo

Rainer Straschill wrote:
> Andy posted this link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hs-Ic-VobY
>
> Holy shit! I was at that exact concert! Let's see if I can still name
> the band from the back of my head...Kenny Garrett on alto, Marylin
> Mazur on Percussion, Benny Rietveld on bass, Robert Irving and Adam
> Holzmann on keys, and then I think it's that guitarist that played
> guitar on a bass guitar - Joseph Foley McCreary...

I last heard Miles a couple years later, just a few months before he
died. You could hear occasional flashes of pre-stroke Miles, but Kenny
Garrett really carried the band. Of course, that could be my sax-player
chauvinism speaking...

My favorite Miles live performance was one I heard much earlier, by his
Filles de Killimanjaro band. Corea and Holland were fresh from Corea's
Circle group, which was pretty outside, and they'd lunge off into a kind
of electric avant garde that was a lot denser (and to my ears more
interesting) than Miles's later stuff.

> Miles Davis may be the only jazz musician who
> sounded completely Eighties without sounding tasteless ;)

Hmm. I think that needs to go on my studio wall.

Brian