Re: toys for non-musicians (was: online real time looping sequencer game)

OK, nice reply.. you have filled in some interesting details. I certainly agree with you about the Dumble amps thing.. and all this,.. " well if you call him you wont get your amp thing..." what a load of toss... and it appears that its just a tube amp with a cheap ass regular old distortion pedal covered in glue.. ha ha

Back to the film thread.. I said Film is easier to work with, and you had a problem with that...? Ahem  everyone in film will tell you thats true actually. Its is of course "More Expensive" and that, in a way, makes it more difficult, budgets are much more rigorous, but anyway the pipeline (in 99.9 persent of cases) is STILL a digital one. Cos its normal now to shoot on 35 or super 16 and then immediately (maybe after a simple corrections color grade) go straight to digital. I can edit full-on HD on my laptop, thats only 4 times worse that 4K or whatever the digital res of film is (I DONT shoot on film, anymore... so I dont know,) I use grungy plugins... ! ha ha! So I can NEARLY make a Cinema film at home.. thats of course wonderful!

There is nothing particularly hard about shooting on film. When you go to film school you learn about lighting, F-stops and depth of field, and thats it really.. choose a good film stock for what you are shooting.. and few filters incase you want to go inside and shoot on tungsten. However.. video... formats, dont get me started... progresive or interlace, frame size, is it or not anamorphic.. white balance, black balance, over shooting the whites, contrast problems, you en up bringing in light after light to correct an issue, then you take em all out, and say (we fix it in post - an industry joke now)  so now all you problems are about computer software.

There are quick and easy ways of getting video to look nice, so theres less fiddling in post. I use a 35mm lens adaptor. That means you attach a special mount onto your video cam, it has a little spinny grid in front to the lens that emulates film grain, and you can attatch 35mm film camera lenses. This means that you can get that lovely FILM CAMERA depth of field thing of putting the background out of focus. Now there are cameras that can do this anyway (look at Red cameras) But I cant hire them cos I bought 3 HD cameras a few years back (for 6,000 dollars each) and need to use them to make good my investment.. but with these lenses you can pretty much make nice filmy stuff.

Using video is cheaper.. thats what makes us use it... There are thousands of film-makers out there now that can make their dream, and that is very important and I for one, whould not have my job. (That is making drama based interactive training films for business and schools) So HURRAH for digital... but lets applaud it for the real reasons..

But its not true that this pipeline always works (Film to digital). In Harry Potter  (I saw it last week) im sure spotted some magenta and cyan artifacts (probably caused by microscopic imperfections in the compositing)  on some hard contrasty edges... looked almost like it was a video projection.. when I know they have 35mm at that cinema...

As for Sin City... its an effect.. sure it was done on a budget on video.. but that effect would just not work on almost ANY other film.. ok maybe a few that are also based on graphic novels.
Did I think it was beautiful.. well no.., but thats cos i didnt like the movie... but.. now i think about it, It did have some very cool scenes and the Art Direction WAS superb... so OK.. beautiful ... just not MY cup o char.

But remember, that video is only 40 years old (usable instead of film .. um  6 years old.. ok 10) Film is 150 years old... No wonder film-makers resent a bunch of programers and engineers coming along and telling us that digital has so and so more mega wotsit, and color saturation is this, and bla bla bla... It just not about the technology.. its about "The way we make films"

I do have one thing to admit:
I havent done this in a while, but one of my hobbys was to put a roll of black and white thru my Bolex (Yes I have one) and develop it myself (I have an old russian army developing tank from the WW11) then I have made a printed by cutting a slot in another old Bolex so I can feed my hand deveeloped neg, and expose a positive. this I then develop that..

Im a film geek...