Re: toys for non-musicians (was: online real time looping sequencer game)

Oh I've always been plenty cranky.  I'm gearing up to be a ranty old man!

I'm still standing by my statement though.  Of course you have the
right to your opinion but there are dangers in your language.  As a
professional your opinion means more than the average layman's. I know
my way around a Bolex and let me tell you, in my opinion it's not
easier to shoot on film so I have no idea what the hell you're talking
about when you say "it's easier..." While you can get a great look
from film, as far as I could tell it's mostly a nightmare to work with
compared to modern digital mediums.

Same thing with tape.  Does it have some inherent qualities that are
desirable?  Sure. Is it your right to prefer to use it?  Absolutely.
Saying "It is better" when you're coming from a place of authority is
a bit irresponsible though. Also, it's not useful.  Saying "I like it
better because..." is useful.

I do find it funny that there are a lot of VSTs out there now that
create the analog crap I spent years as an audio engineer trying to
minimize. After Effect plugs that emulate the look of different film
stocks complete with scratches and fuzz on the shutter. Awesome. I
find it more useful asking the question "does this give me a
look/sound that works with my art?" than "Is this medium better?"

I had to laugh at the Dumble Amps thread a little while ago.  I'm not
saying they're bad or good or worth it... I've never had any
experience with it, but the price tag makes me smile.  I think we
spend a lot of time chasing the .5% increase in sound quality that
somehow costs 100 times the cost of the 99.5% good sounding gear.
What's the point?  It becomes a fetish object, just like your film
camera is on it's way to becoming.  You can argue that, but in 1984
when I saw my first digital multitrack I said, "this will be done
totally on computers soon" so I called that one. ;) I'm like The Great
Carnak!   Have a look at Sin City and tell me that's not a beautiful
film.  It's shot digitally and the medium is still young.