RE: More Tonal Theory: Arppegiators/Accent/Melody

I would try experimenting with combinations of 5th up (7semitones) and 4th below (5 semitones),  delaying the two intervals to separate note values and tapping in a desired tempo if your processor or plug-in allows you to. Try ¼ note against a dotted 1/8th as an example to create a nice syncopation. If your device only reads delay values in milliseconds, try setting one pitch to 350 milliseconds and one to 450 milliseconds and fine tune them to achieve the same effect, a galloping interval

 With parallel harmonizers I find the more neutral the interval the better so I avoid 3rds and 7ths, opting for 5ths, octaves, 4ths. 9ths  and sometimes 6ths.  I avoid using feedback unless I’m going for the cascading interval effect, which works great on 5ths and octaves, as well as 2nds and #5ths . Also if you can get longer delay times between intervals you can use more than two pitches,  ones like you are using now,  but have more time to improvise more notes before the pitch shifted delays kick in. And yes I think you are on the right track simply using fewer pitches. Even the idea at the top of my post is limiting in what one can play and still sound consonant.

Bill

From: margaret noble [mailto:margaretnoble2000@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:15 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: More Tonal Theory: Arppegiators/Accent/Melody

sorry, i wrote that confusingly!!!

i mean:

in comes an acoustic instrument, out goes a 4 part delay, each part is in different semi-tones, the fist delay sound is the same pitch as original, the second delay sound is up 4 semi-tones, the third sound is up 7 semi-tones up and the fourth sound is u 11 semi-tones up. So, a nice melodic sequence comes out when only one note is hit. play more than one and it gets busy and a bit unpleasant tonally. I would to configure the melodic delay in such a way so i can improvise a few notes and get some nice harmonies. i am thinking obvious that less pitch shifts are better but i am wondering if their are particular values of pitch shifts that are safer for playing.

make more sense?

http://margaretnoble.net/