how about that midi sequencing in the LP-1 and Mobius?

Per said:
> > .......how about that midi sequencing in the LP-1 and Mobius?
> Not Mobius if you ask me.

Interesting to hear that. I believe to get your point regarding
staying in the timing scheme of a loop when doing rate shifts as
opposed to a strict time base coming from a sequencer, but I found, on
the other hand, using a pattern sequencer like Ableton Live (which I
do use mainly as a VST host for, among other things, Mobius) does
actually help if you want to stay in some sort of absolute time frame.
In a way, this comes close to what Claude Voit used to do with the
pattern sequencer of a Nord Modular G2 in combination with some EDPs.

For the general concept, I quickly found that when controlling Mobius
with a sequencer, I tend to turn off any quantization and only keep
sync within Mobius (if and when applicable) but not between Mobius and
the sequencer via VST Host or MIDI sync, instead assuring sync via
retriggers sent from the sequencer.
When using the simple forms of rate shift (e.g. going into halfspeed
at the beginning of the loop), it's rather simple - the loop length
effectively doubles in the time domain, however, this is, as you
pointed out, not as simple if you use more complex rate shifting
patterns.
However, when I do that, I usually like to have that happen in steady
timing intervals, not in steady "loop content intervals", so doing the
shift sequence with commands sent from the sequencer in its time
domain (instead of shifting from a loop at specific 8ths/subcycles)
will keep the rhythmically very noticeable shifts at the timing
intervals where I want them - and I can make up for any resulting
misalignment by using the retrigger wherever I need it.

Best,

              Rainer