Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational

Kevin wrote:

So from the perspective of someone who doesn't in any way "need" to
play live (for fame or fortune), I wonder if its worth trying to
overcome all the baggage and hassle that comes with playing publicly.

Gosh,  Kevin,  I'm not sure how much experience you have, but playing live
in front of an audience, in my experience,  produces such wonderful
musical results
and, frequently,  ones that you are not necessarily in control of that I
couldn't concieve
of a musical life without performance.

Now,  I like to perform and I even like performance aspects that are extra
musical
(theatrics, humor, video projection,  lighting effects,  etc.) which, of
course, are all
aspects that don't enter into just doing at home for yourself.

I do know musicians for whom the performance aspect is painful (social
anxiety, fear of
rejection,  etc., etc.) and I do believe that only playing in one's garage
is a perfectly legitimate
mode of making music.   Indeed,  I play a ton of instruments at home that
I've never dragged
onto stage and just for fun.........but I DO aspire t get them out there.

I say the baggage and hassle and time spent playing live is entirely worth
the effort!