Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational

Rick, I for one would like to thank you for putting us newbies on the
stage.
It is inspiring to have the opportunity to play 30 minutes of looping when
normally I wouldn't have the opportunity.  I've got more gigs than I want
as
a bassist in a band, but your festival is the only chance that I get to
loop
in front of an audience.

As for the original topic, I'd like to throw my two cents in as an
audience
member and not as a performer.  I honestly don't care if the piece is
preprepared or improvisational.  To me the most important thing is a
connection with the audience.  I can listen to the most beautiful music on
my headphones all day, but it isn't the same as seeing a live musical
performance.  Music performers need to interact with their audience in
some
way.  Talk between musical pieces to help the audience understand where
the
music came from is good.  Good visual presentation of yourself during the
musical piece is important as well.  It is difficult to watch a performer
that is focused on their electronics.  Eye contact with the audience is
key.
Ultimately, it is all about making the audience feel like they are part of
the event.

It is this total presentation which is one of the reason I love Rick's
performances so much.  When I see Rick perform, I feel that he is sharing
part of himself and we as an audience are lucky to be included.  Not that
the music is unimportant, because clearly he is very talented musically.
However, developing that connection to the audience is equally important
and
something that we all should strive to attain.

Please don't take any of this as an insult.  I've seen so few of you play.
Those that I have seen are tremendous and have been inspirational to me.

Bob Amstadt