Re: OT orchestral samples

Hi Paul,

I have owned Kontakt for many years. Bought it back in 2003 in order
to achieve 5.1 surround effect instruments, since that wasn't yet
implemented in Logic back then. I also have Reason 3. Kontakt offers a
lot better fidelity than Reason, that's the first thing I want to
state! Comparing these two is not really fair I think, Kontakt is just
playing in a much higher division. I have not upgraded to Kontakt 3
but am still using Kontakt 2.2.4.001, because from what I heard the
most significant difference in Kontakt 3 is that it comes with a very
big "meat and potato" sample library. And that's exactly what I don't
need as much as I need free hard disc space to record to ;-))  As for
sample instruments I already have the few I want to use, and it seems
that the sampler functionality in K3 is not much better then in K2.

Okay, the next statement needed here is that Kontakt is a damn great
sampler! Probably the best available. In the past it could interfere
with limited CPU recourses of your computer, but that has changed as
we all now. For a while I did not use Kontakt because I felt sick
knowing about NI's licensing regulations, but I'm happy to notice the
company has totally changed that now. You can now change computer and
move the software license with you to the new machine. No iLok support
yet AFAIK.

Some orchestral sample patches that come with Kontakt are from the
Vienna STrings series and they sound awesome! I've heard, from folks
that own the real Vienna package, that the difference is not the
samples but the big amount of multi sound instrument patches you get
in the Vienna box. For example all kinds of layers set up in a smart
way like having normal violin section tone and fading into tremolo or
drill tone section by the modulation wheel - etc, etc... Seems the
original Vienna box is perfect for media composers that spend months
churning out orchestra-in-a-box music for video games and stuff. If
you want just the great orchestral sound they sound just as good in
Kontakt.

The effects in Kontakt are also very good. I've used it lately for
playing EWI by MIDI in a Bidule hosted livelooping rig and then I
could route all kind of feedback machine effects within my individual
Kontakt patches. Very cool and useful IMHO. It has good compressors,
distortion, delays, reverb, phaser and a lot more. And you can route
effects as insert or as send-return loops.  Kontakt 3 also has a
better support for fixed micro tunings than before, another good thing
IMO. Finally, Kontakt can import patches from most other samplers on
the market. You will rarely be "on the wrong platform" for buying
whatever sample library you may want in the future.

Personally I wish there was an even cheaper deal that would let you
buy Kontakt 3 without that extensive sample library. It's a lot of
good and top quality sounds but only "those usual" sounds. Great value
for a pro media music composer and producer, though.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com