Re: Are there any Firewire Midi-Only Interfaces?

The midi has no latency, it's the USB 2.0 interface used to connect my looper control that has the latency.

I'm still not even sure that I have my bidule set up properly, but it works and hasn't caused any problems in the past.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM, marcus<nrvana8775@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using a Firebox to receive audio and midi from my microkorg, but I now
> need another midi in for my looper controller. I have an old midiman
> midisport (usb1) and a usb2 midi-only interface, but they both have a one
> second latency.

If MIDI is delayed by one second there must be something terribly
wrong in the system. That's not normal. Check your settings!

> My question: Are there any midi-only interfaces that use firewire?

Without having googled it for you, I would guess there isn't. The
reason is that firewire is such a good protocol to stream digital
audio to and from a computer that I really doubt anyone would come up
with a product that does occupy a firewire bus by MIDI only.

> If so,
> will I run into latency issues if I buy an adapter that allows me to split
> my single firewire port into two?

I would guess so - if you are still talking MIDI latency. I base this
on the assumption that the error is to be corrected somewhere in your
system's settings. Maybe some piece of gear is set to quantize certain
MIDI data and causes the latency? Just follow the entire signal path
from where it starts to the target and make sure all settings are as
you want them.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se