Re: ot: In search of suggestions for odd stompboxes

At 9:45 PM +0200 6/18/09, Rainer Straschill wrote:

>so I've ever so slightly started to turn my back a little to blown-up
>rack gear and complex computer systems and instead decided to fall in
>love with stompboxes a little bit.

Beautiful, Rainer.  Don't think you'll regret it.

In the past, I've already suggested Devi Ever FX, so you can find
that detail in the archives.

Also, The Squarewave Parade puts out some bizarre and brilliant
noiseboxes.  You kind of have to check back on a regular basis, as
Steven's interests change frequently so he may only put out, say, 10
copies of a given model.

For example, a few weeks ago, he released a little utility box called
the Bleak Blink which, when shaken/kicked, gave the same intermittent
stuttery effect as a bad cable.  A lot of his current energy right
now is dedicated to the Teaspoon CAS, which is a granular/glitch
effect (and a whole lot more) in a stompbox format.

Since it seems you rather like delay lines, you might look at the
Blackbox Quicksilver (now distributed by Ooh La La Manufacturing).
It's a delay unit with a built-in external feedback loop.  You can
put whatever other stomps you like into the loop, which will then
re-process every new iteration of the echo.

If you scan through the stompbox pages at Analogue Haven, you'll find
lots of different possibilities.  Fuzz/distortion is the most popular
category, it seems, but there's a lot of other stuff in there if you
bother to dig.  That's how I found my Audible Disease Junk-Fi Sampler
a year or so ago.  Looked good on paper, and, boy, is it strange in
real life.

Similarly, try the NoiseFX website.  It's harder to navigate (not to
mention that all the soundclips are focused solely on, er, noise) but
it'll give you more ideas for research, and they will deal just as
well in used boxes that may have missed their potential market (Dod
Meatbox, etc.).

Finally, you might also look at delving into circuit bending some of
your existing stomps, or buying cheap crap boxes just to experiment
on.  You can also get some one-of-a-kind devices from "semi-pro"
benders if you don't want to do the work yourself.  I picked up a
circuit bent Boss PS-2 from a builder/artist named Spunky Toofers,
and it is one of the most bizarre/useful stomps I've ever had --
getting effects I previously thought only possible on a computer.

Though with a little practice, you could easily roll your own.

Good luck!

        --m.

--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path lasts no longer than