Re: Way OT: Living Room Receiver

Where are you?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:50 PM
Subject: Way OT: Living Room Receiver

OK, I know you all are going to have some great advice for me here.

The receiver that we use in the living room to power a modest stereo system (a pair of Infinity speakers with 8" woofers) for general background music purposes just died. It is probably15 years old. A lot has changed since I bought a receiver. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Since I have a new tv from the beginning of 2008, I am debating between going for a simple replacement; i.e., a simple stereo home amp (actually, the "receiver" part is useless out here in the woods anyway) or buying a kind of low-end home theater audio system complete with receiver and speakers. It's not that important for me to have surround sound, but if it weren't too much extra $$, maybe this is a good time for it.

I was hoping to spend under $200 for the amp alone, wouldn't want to spend much more than $300 for a home theater system. Not averse to something used - there are a few deals on Amazon that look good, I just don't even know whether home theater systems in that range are even worth thinking about.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Best,
Warren