Re: Looperlative vs EDP

Per Boysen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Claude Voit <c.voit@vtx.ch> wrote:
>> Luis
>> What is latency to you?
>> You use the term often but I cant relate it to a hardware looper
>> Cheers
>> Claude
>
> Sorry for breaking into a post directed for Luis, but I just happen to
> remember a post from Andy or Matthias (long ago) stating the EDP
> latency has been measured to be somewhere around 3 milliseconds. This
> is of course if you play your audio through the EDP, not if putting it
> in send loop and set to just the wet signal. But I guess it doesn't
> compensate those 3 ms for the loops so there will be 3 ms anyway.

That would have been my measurement.
The time from hitting a button to the time a sample starts to play.
To get down to 3-4mS you need a Gorduis Midi controller.
The fcb1010, and oddly enough the EDP front panel take 4-5mS.

Matthias says the EDP has 1mS jitter in response time, ie
it checks for button presses once a mS.

Any latency from the A/D converter got missed out in that measurement.

Triggering a sample by foot is a good way to learn to compensate
for brain>>foot>>sound latency, brain>>foot being by far the largest
part of that.

andy butler
anyone have figures for looperlative latency?
No reason to think it won't be comparably low, but increasing
sophistication can allow latency to creep up (as Xavier(LG) found out, and
fixed),
and apparently A/D & D/A converters can get slower as the quality goes up.