Re: Autocorrelation tool?

Warren Sirota wrote:

> Well, take whatever position you will in the argument of "honest
> documentation of a performance" vs. "good listening", but I personally
> don't want to have to cringe for the next 30 years every time I hear
> that horrible note near 3:57, so I'll generally throw away the stuff
> that I hate. So I'm not pure, so sue me. :-)

What most don't realise is that editing was often used for
all those great jazz recordings from the 50's & 60's
which are generally though to be "as is" recordings.

If I need to edit loop stuff I open the file twice in a Multi-track editor,
on 2 adjacent tracks.
Then I shift one of the files by one loop length, and align it accurately
by ear, and by observing the waveform.
As you're using software for the looping, once you get it aligned to
the nearest sample you'll have the exact loop length in samples.
(I don't get that, so it can only be as accurate as the nearest sample,
 as the edp samples aren't synced to the recording).
With Audition, I create a dummy loop of exactly the right length and
loop duplicate it for the length of the piece.
It needs to be sample accurate in order to not get phasing on the x-fades.

Once the loop length is accurately measured, it's pretty easy to edit
out a whole no. of loops.

It's also possible to use phase cancellation to give you access to layers
in the sound.
e.g. If you recorded a static loop with a solo over it onto one track, as
long as you have a recording of just the loop without the solo it's
possible to mix the original loop in ant-phase, and just get access to
the solo. Good for mixing, and for editing out any gaffe notes.

andy butler