Re: Early bird loopers with Live?

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM, L.Angulo <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes i am also waiting for the mighty EDP like multiply on Mobius!

Yup, I'd appreciate that too. But the bottom line for me is that I'm
happy that, with Mobius, I got away an aspect of multiply on the EDP
that always annoyed the shit out of me. I'm talking about the Loop4
now, not Loop3: When you want to cut down the length of a loop with
Multiply you kick it twice. But if you kick with a too short time
between the two Multiply kicks the EDP thinks that you want to tell it
that you want to "multiply for a number of cycles" (equaling the
number of erroneous Multiply kicks given too quickly. There was no way
to call off that action on the EDP - you were forced to live with it.
In a live situation where you may work with a loop of two minutes
length this would result in a forced multiply for two more minutes -
instead of the intended cutting down the loop to just one cycle to
keep the musical flow up. I just hated that function and I never found
out a way to disable it.

So I must say that I'm generally more happy with the Mobius way of
multiplying. I used to keep my own script that waits until the next
cycle cusp before starting the Multiply, but since that doesn't work
with the Lame Duck Period I have repelled back to stock Mobius
multiplying now. I found that it is actually possible to not have that
dreadful extra cycle added; you have to kick the Multiply just a
fraction before the next quantize value and then you have to go out of
Multiply Mode with Overdub. Someone on the Mobius list posted that
advice.

I also love the Instant Multiply/Devide. I always keep pedals and hand
buttons for x2, x3 and x4. That makes it possible to cut down or
increase loop lengths to musically interesting relations in just a
second. My favorite is to copy a loop length, then go x3 and then /2
(or x4 and /3). Apply to one of two, or more, parallel loops for poly
rhythm cooking. ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se