Re: Mainstage and midi channels

Hi Sjaak,

I suspect one solution for you would be to use different MIDI In ports
for the Program Changes that swap patches and for the MIDI notes that
play instruments. You can set that at Mainstage's "Device Input" (in
Layout view's Layout Inspector). That's how I've been using MS and the
reason I never noticed the issue you're bringing up; that a MIDI
Program Change input can not be filtered by MIDI channel.

MIDI notes can, though, and here's how:
- In Layout Mode, select the Keyboard Object.
- Look left, into the Layout Inspector, and change "Channel = All" to
the MIDI channel you want your virtual instruments to react to.

I use the two MIDI ports built into my audio interface, but I still
have a free USB jack on the Macbook where I can pop in a MIDI Link if
I would need a third MIDI port.

Another solution for you could be to use any two Screen Control
Objects (the "Button" object?) in Mainstage and assign them to
function as "Next Patch" and "Previous Patch". Then you can assign
simple external MIDI Notes to scroll the patch list - without the need
for going into MIDI Program Change at all.

Over here I duplicate both this "patch scroller" for a continuous
scroll knob and direct patch selection by MIDI Program Change.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com