Re: new pedal in town

andy butler wrote:

> van Sinn wrote:
>
>> mark francombe wrote:
>>

>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:05 AM, van Sinn <vansinn@post.cybercity.dk
>>> <mailto:vansinn@post.cybercity.dk>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Digitech TSR-24S;
>>>

>> The manual is available from digitech; look in discuntinued products.
>>
>> It's a complex device.  Two inputs, four outputs, an effects library,
>> and everything routable just about any which way you want.
>

> ah, sounds interesting, hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of details
>

>> This means: Start with an input, pick an effect, link them, pick the
>> next, link, split into two paralles lines, pick effects and link for
>> each line, split one line again (to have three parallel), pick and
>> link, create a feedback with effects in it and link it to a mixer...
>> Any effect can be reused as you wish; it's a matter of when you run
>> short of processing power and memory.
>

> interesting, that sounds like "freely editable"...
> ..............is it?

Yes

>> So, you can do mono in, mono out, mono in stereo out, stereo in stereo
>> out, one mono in/out + one mono in / stereo out...
>

> will it do 2 mono in to the same stereo o/p?

Yes. Because any input, output, effect and mixers are fully routable,
you can do this.

>> Reverbs, echoes, single/multipole chrous, flangers, parametric EQ,
>> multiband EQ, pitch transpose, harmonizing...
>

> lowpass/bandpass?

Yes

> does it have a panner (not an autopanner)

I believe so, not 100% sure though

> outputs on XLR?

No, TSR only

>> The envelope follower means effect parameters can be controlled by
>

> so I guess that's assignable to any parameter.

Yes, and IIRC, it can be linked to control more parameters at a time.
Also, the fully programmable noise gate can be used to ramp-up effects.

I forgot to mention the TSR-24S (dual DSP) has ring-out and ramp-up,
meaning what's already in memory will ring out when canging presets, and
the new preset can be programmed to gradually ramp-up, even with a
pre-delay.  Allows for interesting smooth transitions.
This model also has a (simple) 4 sec looper ;)

It's also possible to combine effects into your own named modules, which
can then be linked into presets, just like the individual effects.
However, once such a module is used, it's locked and cannot be edited.

Ohh, and it'll do some MIDI event filtering too!  haven't tried though..

Maybe you see why Digitech discontinued the model? It was simply too
complex for most users, at a time when prog. racks became a no-no :D

I often wish I could keep it simple. I mostly use the harmonizing, 4-tap
echo and a bit of reverb.  Still, I have some fun ideas in my head, and
really have a hard time seeing any replacements for this baby, except
for the way more expensive Eventides Ultra's.

An example I'm fiddling with:  I have one mono-in stereo-out channel in
my ADA MP-2 guitar processor's S/R loop.  So, I might use another mono
in/out channel to build a separate clean channel to stack on top of the
ADA for a more complex tone.
And I'd still have one free mono-out, which I could use to tap into the
two chains to add a completely independent.. something.. ;)

They can often be had at a good price on evilbay.  Just notice that
single-DSP models cannot any longer be updated to dual.  Digitech
stopped that year ago, and Dieter from Germany, who reverse engineered
those modules cannot get the DSP's anymore.
I was the first to get the PPC-210 for the TSR-24 and proofread the
manual/instructions.

It's still possible to update the software to the latest version to have
faster preset swiching and improved whammy operation.
http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/tsr24/tsr24-main.htm  has it all -
except that the PPC module is out of production.
He's a busy man..   also see http://www.chronotronix.com

--
rgds,
van Sinn