Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s

> From: Miko Biffle <biffoz@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 3:28 PM
>
> For the most part, vinyl mastering and production esthetics were more
> mid-rangey and compared to modern production a little "honkey"
> sounding.  Compression and volume maximization aside, I prefer the
> broader tonal spectrum of modern recordings. I love Hendrix, but most
> of recordings still have that narrower range and less bass, giving the
> recordings a dated sound. MP3's of the same recordings sound dated as
> well. I understand the basics of high end interpolation and sampling,
> but still, I just don't hear it.
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party, and confess that I didn't
follow this thread closely - but it took a little while to process the
statement that Hendrix sounded 'dated'.   I realize now of course that
the reference was to the sound of the recordings - his music is of
course timeless.

So based on the necessity of mastering for a lathe and limiting the
low-end to accommodate turntables, Eddie Kramer mixed and EQ'd the bass
at a level that worked for his target media.  With the advent of
sub-woofers and newer dance styles dominating the mainstream we
evidently have a new generation that notes a lack of low end in classic
rock and on the other hand also accepts the sizzle that even my tired
ears finds 'earritating'.  It only now occurs to me that anything more
than a couple of years old might sound 'dated' to younger listeners.

Excuse me while I work my back over to my rocking chair!

In discussions I've had with audio engineers about the satisfying sound
of Motown recordings in particular, most point to tape-based analog
reproductions of drums and bass guitar as the characteristic sound of
that era - so yes - those recordings did define an entire era of analog
recording.  Rock , soul, and almost any other pre-disco musical styles
were mastered with the same sensitivity to low end content that couldn't
be reproduced using a turntable or speaker systems of the day...

The same observarion applies to all remastered mixes of the Hendrix
material, even those made for release on CD.  It would be silly to try
and hype the bass to try and contemporize these tracks.  I also remember
discussions here and elsewhere suggesting that for several entire
generations the subtle analog 'distortion' in any recording was
'familiar' and therefor preferred by audiophiles.  Funny how there are
psychoacoustic aspects and even cross-generational biases that inform
all discussions about music reproduction.

That said - the sizzle of MP3s is just LAME.

I suppose I must approach the idea that a new generation of listeners
will label the sonic character of my own tracks as those of a bygone era
just as we might identify the sound of wax-cylinder audio reproduction
from the early 1900's, and then the characteristic 'sound' of magnetic
media recordings thereafter.  And this doesn't even address musical
styles which are only 'contemporary' for a moment in time.

For the record I always discounted the meme that music itself was better
'back in the day' because I know that we'll only hear most good music
these days if we actively seek it out, and yes there is much chaff to
grind away before we get to the good stuff.

Just rambling a bit here, but being on this list often points me to
wonderfully satisfying music produced by people whose opinions and
contributions are clearly a cut-above'...

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY