RE: Least Costly Looping Solution

> It's not necessary to use a MIDI controller.  You can map functions to
> the keyboard.

Over on the Mobius list (I think, or was it here?) we've had occasional
discussions of hacking cheap USB keyboards or numeric pads to make
"footswitches".  Pry the keycaps off and glue something to a few keys
to make them easier to press with feet.  I know several people have
done this.  It ain't pretty, and I'm sure you have to replace them
often but it works.

So, it's hard to state the "cheapest" configuration for software
looping, it depends on how technically savvy you are, how concerned you
are about audio quality, and how goofy you will look stepping on a
broken keyboard.

AUDIO

If you can live with the partial latency compensation in Mobius then
you can use the integrated audio device and don't have to buy an ASIO
device.  This will behave as well as a DL4 except for one thing: when
you end the recording of a new loop we'll have to skip a bit forward
when playing back for the first time.

If you want low-latency then many people have had success using
ASIO4ALL to add an ASIO device driver on top of the integrated
audio device.  It's hit or miss though, it looks like it works
over half the time but sometimes it doesn't.  It requires some
tech knowledge and a willingness to dick around.

Most people that take it seriously I would imagine will buy
something like this, scratch-n-dent for $70:

  http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=703606X

There are at least a dozen audio interfaces clustered around
the $100 mark, some have MIDI:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US122L-USB2.0-Audio-Midi-Computer-Interface?sku=242192

MIDI

If you find the concepts of "Threshold Recording" and "Automated
Recording" in Mobius acceptable then you don't need anything to get
the initial loop down.  You will have to reach over with a free hand
if you want turn overdub on and off though.

If you can live with the shame of stepping on a broken USB keyboard
with your snazzy lizard cowboy boots, then you don't need anything.
Buy a $10 USB keyboard and molest it.

If you want a more substantial footswitch, then you first
have to get a MIDI interface.  If you bought an audio interface
it may already have one.  Otherwise this for $30

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CME-U2MIDI-MIDI-to-USB-Cable?sku=703036

If you're good with a soldering iron, this can be hacked
to be a normal MIDI switch for $60

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-4Button-MIDI-Footswitch?sku=180290

Or this for $100

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/CME-GPP3-USB-Programmable-Grand-Piano-Style-MIDI-Pedal?sku=703039

Or more likely the industry standard FCB1010 for $150.  This is usually
the stumbling block for most people.

SUMMARY

The following options assume as a basis that you have a laptop that is
less than 5 years old and is not factored into the cost.

  Option1: hacky/goofy   $10

    ASIO4ALL + USB keyboard

  Option2: audio/goofy   ~$110

    any 2 channel USB audio interface + USB keyboard

  Option3: audio/midi    $280

    $130 audio interface with MIDI + FCB1010

Jeff