Re: Live 8 Beta Looper and Mainstage together - first impressions

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Sjaak <tcplugin@scarlet.be> wrote:
> The only thing I haven't found a solution for is that you can't assign a
>midi controller to the "current patch" to control volume, but only to a
>specific patch number, bus, output or master channel. For example, when
>using the master channel, you also lower the volume of a delay or looper
>sitting on a bus and I want to keep it going.

Right. There's no such generic "patch level down" function to be
assigned to an external MIDI event. Here are two other solutions I
use:

1) As the first plug-in (the top slot) in every patch/channel strip
use the Gain plug-in (found under "Utility").

In Layout Mode, drag a Knob or Fader (or whatever Screen Control
Object) into the work space and assign it to the external MIDI event
you want to use for "patch level pre effects". In Edit Mode, assign
this Screen Control Object to the Gain plug-ins parameter "Gain". In
the Sceen Control Inspector adjust the scaling so it goes from -96.0
dB to 0.0 dB. Done! Now all the rest of the effects you may add to
that Channel Strip will be post fade and you won't cut off any reverb
or delay tails when playing "swell pedal" with the input. And you will
still have the proper sound level running in the virtual instrument,
if that's what you are playing.

2) In order to make it quick and easy to create a new patch that uses
the same Screen Control Bindings do like this: Select the patch i the
Patch List, press Apple-C, press Apple-V. Done! You have now
duplicated the patch including all the bindings. Go ahead changing
input, virtual instrument and effects to build a new patch. Be sure to
save the Channel Strip under a new name (if you do back-up Channel
Strips on the disc; that's a good habbit BTW, as you may then import
them into MainStage as well as Logic i any future project or session).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com