First post - newbie advice wanted

Hi all

I hope you'll bear with me as I explain the advice I need...

I have been playing in bands (mostly rock and blues) for more years than I want to recall ( 3 decades plus) but after a fall out with a couple of members of my recent band I've decided to sod 'em and go solo.  I have a good rock/blues voice (I've been compared to Paul Rogers of Free, which is very flattering but I'll never be THAT good!).  I'm also reasonably competent on guitar, so my idea is to have drum sample and possibly bass midi backing, then play rhythm, lead and sing over the top of it.  I was going to use Ableton Live for this with a Laptop, but it seems ridiculously complicated for the simple and gritty style of music I'm aiming for - I also play bottleneck, so there will definitely be a bluesy bias.

Then I discovered the Jamman, and that seems ideal - pre-record drum and bass loops in LIVE, download to the Jamman, then on stage play and record rhythm guitar verse/chorus whilst singing over the top of it, then loop and play lead guitar, harmonica or whatever and sing over the top of it.

However I notice that most of you seem to prefer the Echoplex.  Am I missing something here?  As far as I can tell the Echoplex doesn't have the ability to download pre-recorded loops (no way of storing them?) so I would be severely at a disadvantage - how it be possible to get 3 sets worth of prepared music onto it?  I'm not worried about the cost - it's more important that I get the right kit, as I have gigs waiting.

Any advice on which you think I should go for would be much appreciated.  Also any thoughts on the practicality or otherwise of my idea.

Thanks

For info, I also have a PA, 12 input mixer, Fender guitar amp, 2 guitars, pedals etc, and a TC Helicon 'VoiceLive' which is a vocal processor able to produce harmonies on the fly and which has reverb, compression, noise gate etc.