Re: how do you loop?

My loop setup is set up to allow me to choose between "phrase loops"
(with a DL-4) and "sound-bed loops". The sound-bed loops frequently
use DFX-94's, which are better for building non-rhythmic pattens and
drones. My aim is to flush things out without the ears getting into
the mindset of repetitive rhythmic phrases (where they expect things
to happen in multiples of 4).

With hardware, I generally aim to bring enough that I can make a wide
enough array of sounds, but not so much that it distracts me. I have 3
pedals that I use all the time, that define most of my sound, and 2
more that I use sparingly. You shouldn't feel a need to use every
piece of equipment at every show.

Recommended listening for loopers:
Rapoon "Darker by Light" (repetitive phrases that one could actually
get lost in)
Portishead "Third" (loops used in context of a larger song)
Aphex Twin "Selected Ambient Works, Vol II" (simplicity being powerful
and interesting.)

Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com