RE: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

 I agree, alternate tunings is a great way to do something different. BUT in the context of instrumental music I see a risk that what i find as "different" and "interesting" sounds in an alternate tuning is just me being amazed over the sound that comes out. It is really hard, for me at least, to do any real improvising in alternate tuning. It's more like what Luis describes, i see it almost as accidents that HOPEFULLY sounds cool. But I'm nit sure i would call it improvising... I really admire horn player, Miles, Trane that could always find new music to play with their instruments. I would love to have the control over phrasing and note choice that horn great players have.
On the other hand a reason I love looping is all the mistakes I make that forces me to find a creative way out. (BTW i have just posted a new "mistake" piece in alternate tuning on soundclick)

Greetings,

Anders
www.soundclick.com/AndersBergdahl