Re: OT: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

richard sales wrote:

> Of note to all lovers of open tunings, and I count myself as one of
> them, I've heard that Leo Kottke has transposed all of his songs to
> standard!  Taking multiple guitars to gigs - and keeping them tuned - is
> a pain in the butt, and when you're flying it gets quite spendy.

A possible remedie is drop tuners (i.e. Hipshot and Sperzel D-thing).

> I can't understand why no one has successfully invented a tuning peg
> that could auto tune your guitar.  I talked to Paul Smith (PRS) about
> this a while back and he said it was because of the weight of the tuner
> changing the tone of the guitar.  But I think I saw that Gibson had one
> coming out.

It's available, wasn't invented by Gibson, but a German. Gibson licenced
it. I can poke the name/link.  The system is available for some Fender &
Gibson look/work-alike guitars. About a thousand euro, last I checked.
There's the system made famous by Jimmy Page. Yikes, more memory losses.

--
rgds,
van Sinn