Re: Re: OT: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

Per wrote:
"All wind instruments have completely new fingering for every key. And
the resonating pillar of air behaves totally different if you just
transpose the key a half step up or down."

Right, and then there are players who bring four horns to a gig and
others who do it all on one horn, maybe trying to expand their
technique (the "usable" range on the tenor sax was exploding since
the 50's).

Per wrote:
"My question, when I started this thread, was to find out ways to do
solo looping with guitar and have instant access to a wider range,
i.e. being able to play like with a piano..."

oh yeah, those incredible piano voicings with wide AND close steps. I
try to imitate them using open strings or so. On the other hand they
sometimes sound a little weak on guitar anyway. Think of what a
keyboard cannot do: mixed timbres of flageolet and fretted notes,
chords with one note bended etc. The 5th's thing is tempting but a
lot of work when you want to do it right. Even my banjo is tuned
guitar style D G H E. Leaving those two bottom strings out is enough
challenge for me.