From: mark francombe [mailto:mark@markfrancombe.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:45 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

I've been watching this tread with grrat interest, I think its amazing how so many of you have experimented with tunings, and have of course tried some things myself on spare guitars, for effects. (Like for example the tunings that Rick mentioned, about tuning the whole guitar to one note for groovy droning noise stuff etc).

What really amazes me however is... do you guys reall RE-learn all your scales and chords for all these different tunings?  I mean, if you tune to this 5ths approach... how do you play a chord!!! Its taken me 33 years (since I first got a guitar) to learn a few girl guide chords, and a couple of bar chords.... one (ok two) scales, that I can slide up and down... but the thing that has stopped me REALLY getting into tuning is this... Do I really have to forget what I ever knew... and dedicate my life to a new tuning????

I myself have been using baritone guitar for 10 years, with a A based tuning, this gives me the LOWS I need for bass parts, and I use a lot of pitch shifting, and can go high enough... but this is still standard tuning basically, just tined down a bit...

Have to try out this 5ths thing